April 13 (Saturday) 9:00 am - June 14 (Friday) 5:00 pm(GMT+10:00) View in my time
Level 1, Judith Wright Centre of Contemporary Arts, 420 Brunswick Street
Art Enquirer provides an excellent insight into the inner workings of the arts industry and is a must for any student considering a career or further study in visual arts. Students
Art Enquirer provides an excellent insight into the inner workings of the arts industry and is a must for any student considering a career or further study in visual arts.
Students will have the opportunity to:
– Tour a variety of galleries and cultural institutions
– See behind the scenes at studios of professional working artists
– Engage in discussion on careers in the arts, art writing and curatorial practice
– Work with industry mentors to hone their skills in critical art writing
– Connect with like-minded students from across the state
Following the program, students continue to be mentored through an ongoing editorial process. Following the editorial process, essays will be published in a high quality print publication, produced by the Institute of Modern Art (IMA)! An an example of last year’s publication can be found below.
Registrations close June 14.
Wednesday 3 – Friday 5 July, 9-5pm
(Residential students arrive on Tuesday 2 July after 4pm)
Year 11 – 12
Supervised accommodation provided on a twin-share basis near the IMA
Residential: $250 for 3 days (3 nights) fully inclusive*
Day Students: $150 for 3 days**
* Includes accommodation and meals, workshops and materials
** Includes lunch, workshops and materials
Travel Subsidies are available thanks to Brian Tucker. Students travelling more than 300km in each direction to attend the program may receive a subsidy of up to $250 to cover travel costs. Subsidies are limited in number and are provided on a needs basis. Please call Flying Arts Alliance on 07 3216 1322 or email the Scheduled Program Lead for more information.
Tuesday 2 July
– Residential participants arrive
Wednesday 3 July
– Welcome and introductions
– Information session about writing assessment
– Fortitude Valley gallery walk, including Jan Murphy Gallery, Phillip Bacon Galleries, Edwina Corlette Gallery and Mitchell Fine Art
– Institute of Modern Art Exhibition Tour
– Arts career round-table
– Artist studio visits with introduction by Milani Gallery
Thursday 4 July
– Group reflection exercise
– ‘Why Write About Art’ session
– Visit to Metro Arts plus discussion on careers in art writing and curatorial practice
– Tour of QUT Art Museum
Thursday 4 July
– Group discussion about exhibitions and artworks seen
– Development of essay ideas
– Session on referencing, copyright and plagiarism
– Mentor consultations
– Presentations of final works and essay statements
Following the program, students will work with their mentor to hone and edit their essays for publication. Resulting essays will be published in print and online by the end of 2019.
Last Year’s Publication
Art Enquirer is co-produced by Flying Arts Alliance and the Institute of Modern Art.
The IMA is supported by the Queensland Government, and from the Visual Arts Board of the Australia Council for the Arts, and through the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, n initiative of the Australian Federal, State and Territory Governments.